BIFAP is an electronic database made up of medical records from Primary Care destined for pharmacoepidemiological studies and belonging to the Spanish Agency of Medicines and Medical Devices (AEMPS). It features the collaboration of the Autonomous Communities and the support of the main scientific societies involved.
We protect the confidentiality of patient information contained in the database in accordance with current data protection legislation.
We promote the collaboration of Primary Care physicians and maintain high standards of information quality and benefits.
We encourage quality research from Primary Health Care, ensuring high levels of scientific quality.
We develop independent research lines on aspects relevant to the Scientific community and the Public Health of the population.
RESEARCH ON COVID-19 AT BIFAP
Family doctors and paediatricians
Anonymised Electronic Medical Records
Person-years of follow-up
Average years of follow-up per patient
Health problem records
General and analytical data records
If you are a primary care physician from the National Health System in one of the participating autonomous communities you can actively collaborate in the BIFAP programme. As a partner you can also request research studies.
If you are a researcher attached to a public body you can use BIFAP as a source of information to conduct research. Sign up to learn about the process and we'll be in touch with you.
Currently, family doctors or paediatricians who perform a primary care activity of the National Health System in one of the participating Autonomous Communities may be BIFAP collaborators.
It is not an indispensable requirement that they hold a quota, so resident internal doctors, alternate, interim or continued care doctors at Primary Care may also apply to be collaborators.
BIFAP collaborators are Primary Care professionals in participating communities who voluntarily choose to help the BIFAP programme. This help is firstly realized by improving the way they record information during their usual clinical practice. To this end, recommendations on how best to record information are sent to collaborators on a regular basis so that it can be used in epidemiological studies.
Collaborating physicians may, on a voluntary basis, actively participate in improving the quality of BIFAP research by performing some more specific tasks whose dedication time can be quantified to be subsequently recognised:
1. Participating in database quality improvement tasks, dedicating time to perform standardisation tasks related to diagnostic and prescription drug information contained in BIFAP. This standardisation is carried out using online tools made available to collaborating physicians.
2. Providing expert clinical knowledge to help improve the quality of specific studies by other researchers by responding to surveys or conducting their own studies as a principal investigator.
In addition to assisting in the maintenance of a national and public-owned epidemiological source of information aimed at improving the safety of the medicinal product, collaborating physicians are beneficiaries of the following services:
1. They access the BIFAP Services website where they have aggregate statistics on BIFAP patients both globally and within their Autonomous Community. Collaborators who hold a quota also have access to the aggregate data of their patients.
2. They have the specific support of the BIFAP Collaborator Support Unit to carry out their own research studies using BIFAP data.
3. In addition, by filling-in the Profile-Plus, they can share their interests in different areas of research and participate in research studies conducted at BIFAP.
4. All physicians who are registered as BIFAP collaborators and show their commitment to good HCE registration will receive, upon request, a document certifying that as of the day of issue they are listed as BIFAP collaborating physicians.
5. Physicians who have also performed specific database improvement tasks for which the time to perform can be quantified will receive a document certifying the number of hours for each calendar year, provided that they exceed a minimum of 10 hours in that period.
El Comité Asesor tiene funciones consultivas y vela para que BIFAP se consolide y se desarrolle dentro de lo establecido en los convenios de colaboración con las CCAA participantes.
Está compuesto por dos representantes de la Agencia Española de Medicamentos y Productos Sanitarios y un representante de cada una de las Comunidades Autónomas que participan en BIFAP.
1) To promote quality research with the BIFAP database.
2) To evaluate the scientific quality, relevance, feasibility and interest of the study proposals received.
3) To prioritise, if necessary, the implementation of certain projects.
Spokesperson designated by the AEMPS: Lucía Cea Soriano (President)
Spokesperson acting on behalf of the AEMPS: Miguel Ángel Maciá Martínez (Secretary)
Spokespeople acting on behalf of the Advisory Committee: Eduardo Fernández Quintana, Jesús Ruiz Salazar
Spokesperson acting on behalf of public research bodies: Beatriz Pérez Gómez
Spokesperson acting on behalf of the collaborating physicians: Aida Moreno Juste
Spokesperson acting on behalf of the BIFAP team: Elisa Martín Merino
The following are the planned meeting dates of the BIFAP Scientific Committee (Note: they could be changed if necessary):
January 31st, 2023
Febreary 28th, 2023
March 28th, 2023
April 25th, 2023
May 30th, 2023
June 27th, 2023
In order to evaluate the protocols at each meeting, all the necessary documentation must be submitted at least 10 working days before the corresponding meeting. The Scientific Committee will communicate its opinion to the principal investigator normally in less than one month from the request, and within two months at most.
Sites made with Mobirise are 100% mobile-friendly according the latest Google Test and Google loves those websites (officially)!
Mobirise themes are based on Bootstrap 3 and Bootstrap 4 - most powerful mobile first framework. Now, even if you're not code-savvy, you can be a part of an exciting growing bootstrap community.
Choose from the large selection of latest pre-made blocks - full-screen intro, bootstrap carousel, content slider, responsive image gallery with lightbox, parallax scrolling, video backgrounds, hamburger menu, sticky header and more.